Position Title: Educational Program Coordinator
Reports to: Network Coordinator
Term of Contract: Start date is beginning of March upto November, ongoing position dependant on funding.
Hourly Wage: $20/hr
Hours: Part time contract position 12 hrs/week, work is flexible, but must be available to work and deliver programming on weekends.
Organizational Mandate: The Cedar Cottage Food Network Society (CCFN) is an independent, non-profit organization working toward more sustainable and just food systems at the neighbourhood level. We create space for Kensington-Cedar Cottage residents to take part in different levels of food systems by providing programming, tools, and opportunities for community connections.
Description of Position: CCFN offers a number of educational programs including food and garden skills workshops, intergenerational gardening project for seniors and youth and learning about local food systems. The Educational Program Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of our educational programs as well as support and development of various events and programs such as harvest festivals, and special events as needed.
Ideal Candidate: We are looking for a candidate with strong program development and management skills and who thrives in dynamic, independent leadership role. They are able to inspire and enthuse people about food justice and have related teaching, program development, and community outreach experience with strong knowledge of gardening and food practices. They are enthusiastic, highly organized, and attentive to detail so they can manage a multi-faceted workload while building relationships with community organizations, participants and volunteers.
- Outreach to the community to promote programs and engage community members
- Leading CCFN project programming and coordination efforts
- Creating a schedule of workshops and coordinate logistics and scheduling with partner organizations, facilitators, and volunteers across the Cedar Cottage/Kensington neighbourhood.
- Develop and deliver youth training workshops, topic related outings for seniors
- Supervise summer students
- Maintain social media, marketing and promotion for programs
- Demonstrated success with program development and workshop facilitation
- Gardening and food preparation knowledge and experience
- Outreach and promotion of projects with various stakeholders
- Experience with seed saving and seed libraries
- Experience or training in lesson plan and/or curriculum development
- Experience working with adults, children and youth from diverse backgrounds (includes participants and volunteers)
- Education in a relevant field such as horticulture/agriculture/landscaping, sociology, community development, or equivalent experience
- Experience working within the non-profit sector considered favourably
- Sound understanding of food security/sovereignty principles, the spectrum of food based programs in Vancouver, and barriers to food access
- Strong facilitation skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to work independently and under guidance
- Independent analytical thinking to optimize and develop programming and evaluate results
- Excellent planning skills and ability to adapt to priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office, Google Drive and social media
- Knowledge of the Kensington/Cedar Cottage Neighbourhood
- Class 5 Driver’s Licence
- Foodsafe Certificate
To apply for this position, please send a resume and cover letter with the title ‘Educational Coordinator Position’ in the subject field to cedarcottagefoodnetwork[at]gmail[dot]com.
Deadline is February 15, 2019. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.