These week, our lovely volunteer cooks will be working away at the Orchard Park (45th ave and Nanaimo) Tasting Kitchen to make one of our favourite recipes. Be sure to swing by between 2 and 4 pm to sample this and many other tasty treats and learn some new cooking tips.
Sunchoke (Jerusalem Artichoke) Soup!
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs sunchokes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 quart chicken or veggie stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat butter in a medium soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook until soft, about 5 min (Do not brown them!).
- Add garlic and saute for 1 min.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Add the sunchokes and stock to the pot and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until sunchokes begin to soften, 45 min to 1 hour.
- Using an immersion or upright blender puree the soup. If using an upright blender, fill only to 1/3 full and hold lid down while blending.
- Add Salt to taste. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper.